? ??????????????America the Beautiful? ????? ?? ???Rating: 3.8 (57 Ratings)??13 Grabs Today. 6851 Total Gr
abs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? ?????????????????Red Cross? ????? ?? ???Rating: 4.5 (258 Ratings)??9 Grabs Today. 35964 Total Grabs. ??????Preview?? | ??Get the Code?? ?? BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS ?

Monday, June 29, 2009

Universal Health Care or Bust?...or Universal Health Care AND Bust!

As a newly-admitted-into-remission,previous Breast Cancer Patient, I can tell you that I am heavily eyeballing the proposed Health Care Reform Act(s). I am concerned, not just for how this will or could affect my own survival,but how it will affect my children,our National defect and the current framework of America's Health care System as we know it.

I see the benefits,absolutely,but the repercussions,as well,could be far more grandiose than many of us would've ever fathomed.

As I reflect back on my diagnosis,I have to share with you this ever-relevant story. When I was first told that I had Stage 3 Inflammatory Breast Cancer(the most aggressive form),I was desperate,a single mother of 3 children and without any kind of insurance.

I had watched the Documentary 'Sicko' and knew exactly what to do! I'll just go to Canada I thought! That's a brilliant idea! They have Free Health care!
Life has a funny way of letting you know when you're dead wrong. It was at my biopsy that I mustered up the courage to ask my previously-Canadian Radiologist why she would choose to practice in America,when Canada's system is so much better..?

With an expression of wide-eyed sobriety mixed with a tinge of disdain she expressed "You don't have a clue what it's like there do you!"

"Um..no? What is it like?" I inquired.

"Well,for one, the system is completely Bankrupt and another? Many people don't make it to their surgeries,they die waiting. I flew my Father here to have surgery on his knee because there,he would've waited many months." "Do you want the Government to tell you if you are ill enough or young enough receive care? Do you want to wait at the back of the line and risk your disease progressing in the mean time? Because that's what happens!"

I was stunned and totally and completely put in my place but mostly?, I was soooo glad that I talked to her before making the hasty decision to fly the coupe to Canada. (as if I would've anyway...big talker,little walker.)

In short(okay,in long), we have already seen the blemishes with other Universal Health care Systems (Britain and Canada are an example.) Britain is now denying women with Secondary Breast Cancer from receiving Herceptin,a ground-breaking drug that has thus far,undoubtedly saved my life and thousands of women's lives,I am sure. Depriving these women the "right to life" or at least a "Chancee at life" is sadistic. We should be in control of the care we get! We all know how Socialized systems work,and all we have to do is take a look around...has it worked in other countries? First,we will be standing in line for Medical Care,next will it be Bread?

President Obama resonates loud and clear with citizens all over America when he alerts us of the alarming figures of under-insured and uninsured Americans. What he is NOT heard expressing is the fact that wealreadyhave systems in place for these people (including myself). I was blessed enough to be fully covered for my Cancer Treatment costs by the Utah Cancer Control Program. (I didn't have $500,000 in my back pocket to cover the costs....the national average to treat Cancer.) My point is that they covered the cost of my treatment due to my lack of insurance and income level and their limit is actually somewhat liberal.

What is Medicaid? It is for uninsured,pregnant womem,low-income families and disabled individuals. What about CHIPP? To insure our children,who's families cannot afford standard insurance premiums and PCN? (which is essentially an 'affordable Government-Funded Insurance Program', and not to mention the VA Hospital for our Veterans and Medicare for the Elderly. We already have these systems,and many more than I mentioned, they may only need a slightly broader eligibility scale,more funding(mostly more staff) and better organization.I say we work on improving the programs we have!

While I agree that we are being "taken" by Big Pharma and the Insurance Companies, I do not want to risk what we already have by trading it for something that could be far worse in the long run. I am completely in favor of some of the reform ideas brought to the table,such as prohibiting insurance companies from discriminating,or as President Obama has called it,"cherry picking" based on an individuals pre-existing conditions.

On the larger scale,however,I have to disagree. I could write volumes just on the impact of the influx of new patients into our already bogged down system,alone.Our doctor/nurse ratios are already struggling to keep up with the patients they already have in a highly understaffed industry. How will they do it when millions more come flooding through the doors? I'll tell you how..."Please take a number ma'am." I do not want to take a number, I want to take control of my health.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Just testing...comments are working now! =)

Marianne said...

I completely agree that we already have systems in place to take care of health care problems. Its a matter of fixing the problems within the systems. I agree that there is a problem with the people that don't have insurance (for various reasons). Everybody should be able to get the health care that they need. It's all a mess. I think people need to take a step back and ask what is making them sick. If there is an increase of people that need medical care, there has to be something causing the increase. I know this is a bit on the extreme side, but America needs to take a serious look at the pharmaceutical companies and the FDA. If you notice, there are always problems with new medications that are supposed to help, but end up causing more health problems (ex. Zoloft-used as an anti-depressant now being recalled).
Great blog! keep it up :)

Patrice Mead Gibson said...

First thing I wanted to say was Congratulations on conquering cancer! That is an incredible story! I think most people want Universal Health Care because they don't know what they are asking for. I want to be in charge of my own health and the health of my family. I have recently been diagnosed witht the swine flu and can't imagine what it would have been like to have to wait to see a doctor. I saw a doctor and had medicine in my hands to treat myself and my family within a few hours. Luckily I am insured. With that said, I do believe that there are some serious problems with our health care system. I did have medicine but it cost me almost $500.00 for it. That is with insurance. It would have pushed close to $1000.00 without it. That is ridiculous. Pharmacutical companies know you need it so they charge you astronomical amounts of money to get it. The medicine for my 2 year old was $40.00 more than the same medicine for my seven year old. I mean what is that all about. It is the exact same stuff. My husband works two jobs just to pay the $700.00 a month for our families insurance. He had to change jobs in order to get this "affordable" insurance. I needed surgery to save my life two years ago and because we were uninsured at the time they sent me home with oxycontin and told me not to get addicted. Then they said they would see me when I was more serious. While I believe our health care system needs some regulations, Universal Health Care is not the answer.

Ginge said...

Awesome story! Yes yes yes yes! I agree we can reform existing programs with additional funding and broader eligibility. Universal Health Care is not the answer. Several years ago I spent time in England doing volunteer work. I fell ill after only a few months into my work, and registered for my local health clinic so I could receive care. Much different from the 'let's find out what is wrong with you' attitude I've been spoiled with being raised in the states, I felt like my presence at the clinic was more of a burden on the staff. The maximum amount of time I spent with a doctor was maybe 5 minutes after up to an hour wait. I did spend a bit longer in the emergency room, only because of the several nurses you have to go through before you actually are treated or consulted with. All in all, I was sent home each time being told I was suffering from a viral infection and I could not receive treatment. About a month after the initial visit, I was sent home to the states to be tested for cancer, lymes disease, ms, masteosytosis, and many other 'possible' problems based on the severity of my sypmtoms. Turns out I just had a bacterial infection, and all I needed at the time I fell ill was an antibiotic, but it took almost 8 months to get one, because of how badly I got. after 3 months of treatment, I was very frustrated knowing that had the providers in England just looked closer I would have been treated and quickly recovered, and able to finish my assignment. Now I have residual problems because of how long it took to be treated, but mostly enjoy good health. Reform is good... but we don't need a total structure reform!!!